You know those days when you walk in the door much later than intended, you don’t have much in the house, and you don’t have much energy? We had one of those last week.
Enter… the Mexican Mushroom Stack. A primal and grain-free dinner that is ready in less than 15 minutes, and is actually so yummy that you’ll make it even if you have the time to make something far more complicated. Yes, you can spend just 15 minutes on a meal and everyone will be just as appreciative as if you cooked for hours. Try it, I dare you.
Basically, it’s as simple as removing the stems from some rather large but rather ordinary mushies (these were not portobellos, although those would do just fine too)…
- 6 large, flat mushrooms (or a couple of portobellos each)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp macadamia oil (coconut or olive oil work too, but for flavour & stability the macadamia oil is my choice)
- 1 large (or 2 small) ripe avocados
- 1 large lemon
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ⅛-1/4 tsp garlic powder
- sprinkle of pink salt, to taste
- sour cream, to dollop
- 2 Tbsp chives
- Gently twist & tug the stems out of the mushies (I said
- gently! - then get these stems back in the fridge to repurpose in another meal.
- Heat up your frying pan (cast iron - heat on low; anything else - heat on medium-high), then add your butter & macadamia oil.
- Add your mushrooms, stem-less side down, into the pan (don't overcrowd). Fry on one side for 2 minutes, then turn & fry on the other side for a further two minutes. Remove to a paper towel and repeat until all mushrooms are cooked.
- Meanwhile, scoop the flesh of your avocados into the Thermomix bowl. Add paprika, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, and salt to taste - three or four twists of the salt shaker is where it's at, in my opinion. Squeeze all the juice in your lemon into the bowl. For a chunky guacamole, mix on reverse and speed 5 for just 2-4 seconds (stop at 2 seconds and check consistency; proceed with caution). For a smooth guacamole, mix on speed 5 for 5 seconds. If you don't have a Thermomix, a food processor or a bowl and a fork will do.
- Chop yo' chiiiives.
- When all the mushies are cooked, stick 'em on plates, dollop on some guacamole, and add a dollop of sour cream on top of that. Sprinkle with chives, and away you go!